Monday, October 17, 2011

Decisions....

I am in the midst of decision time and am desperately looking for some advice!  Here goes......

We have had our dog, Schroeder for 7 years now.  I love this dog.  I begged Tom for over a year to get him for me and he was like a first child for us.  He went everywhere with us, vacations, etc. and we spoiled him rotten.  Fast forward a bit.....having kids in our lives now, Schroeder has definitely become more of a 'dog' to us.  We still love him (well, I do anyway), but he is no longer the 'child' to us he once was.  I mean, we are busy with two little ones now.  And Tom is dying to get rid of him.  Sad, I know.  My husband has never been a dog lover and has only 'tolerated' the dog because of my love for him.  Since Shae' has come along and we've had such a rough go with her, Schroeder has become more and more difficult to handle.  He's not a bad dog, but he's just extra money and energy....and I'm running out of both! :/  We have had to spend quite a bit this last month on him too because of some issues he's had.  

So, I'm actually considering finding another home for him.  Now, after all of this, in my heart I just don't think I can do it, but I'm putting my feelers out there and keeping an open mind to the idea at least.  I know it would make my husband happy and make for a little more peace in our home.....I just don't know if I can part with him after 7 years!  It would be less stress in my life, but not sure if I can handle the guilt that would undoubtedly follow.  If you are reading this and not a pet owner, you will not understand, but if you are a pet owner, I need to hear from you!  Have you ever had to do anything like this?  What was the experience like for you?  

Again, I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it (sorry Tom if you're reading!)  But I'm at least considering it which is more than I've ever done.   I just want to hear some thoughts from my friends.  Comment on the blog itself rather than FB if you don't mind :)

6 comments:

Amgilliam said...

We have had Ramona our pug for 11 years. She was my 23rd b-day present from Trent. She was our first kid. However, when Jon came along I had made up in my mind that ONE aggressive act toward him and she was gone. Period. No discussion. She NEVER made an aggressive move towards him and we were able to keep her and have had no discipline troubles out of her after he was born, a toddler and even now. I had the same mental discussion when Ella came along. I just couldn't have a dog in my home that I couldn't trust to leave in the same room as my kids. But, Ramona is the best tempered dog--ever. Now that she is older, she has some health issues. She is going blind, she has trouble with allergies (to food) and also bathroom issues. :| I love her, but she is most definitely a dog to me (not so much the rest of the fam) and a nuisance. However, she is a part of our family. And it would CRUSH my son (and Trent) to get rid of her. So, I am resigned to dealing with all the aging issues and so forth because she probably won't live much longer. Which is sad--but Trent and I have agreed that with our schedule, kids and our lives now a dog is just too much of a burden (at times) and we probably won't have another pet for a long time. I know it's a tough decision, but you have to do what is best for you and the dog. I don't know if my story helped at all...but just thought I'd share it anyway. Best of luck Lana!!

Christy said...

I tried to get rid of Shorty, 3 years ago, when we moved to California. I couldn't do it. I knew he was so attached to me, specifically, that he would be depressed. I couldn't handle the thought of him being sad, missing us. The boys were not wanting to get rid of him either, but it would affect Liam the most. He aggravates Shorty, but he can't stand the thought of something happening to him.

We've been blessed, and Shorty has been very healthy for the 6 years we've had him. I know that may not always be the case, but I don't think I could ever get rid of him.

I know how hard it is for you to consider. I'm guessing it would be hard on Carter too. I know you'll do what's best. Love ya!

jessica said...

Lana, I only had my little Rosie for 2 years, but after Maci was born she soon realized that she wasn't the center of attention anymore (she was our baby in a dog way too!) Rosie soon started peeing all over and snapping at the baby, so sadly we had to let her go. I am in the process of telling (begging) Josh we should get another dog now that the girls are older, but so far it hasn't worked!! Sorry you have to make this decision ( I remember when he was a baby) I am not you, but in my condition now, I am all about peace! I am sure you will come to some sort of agreement! I hope for the best for you and Schroeder!( I hope I spelled it right!)

Lana Lyman said...

I should clarify ......he is great with the kids ....never an issue . It's more the work involved and the expense......and most of all keeping my husband happy. the dog has been added stress on me since the baby came along ......but I don't want to get rid of him and now as Shae is getting easier regret that decision .......I also feel guilty for not giving him the attention that I use to . the kids love him , but hardly play with him.....so I feel like he is not getting all he needs . Agghhh! I feel like I'm gonna lose either way .....and I hate that feeling .

myrna said...

What a difficult decision. Dogs are so great and they add so much to life. I can't even imagine. Maybe keep in mind that when you got the dog you made a commitment...kinda of like when you have kids (you obviously can't get rid of them because of the expense or added work). Schroeder has gotten used to you and despite the fact that he may not receive as much attention as he once did, he knows you love him and you know deep in your heart that no one else will take care of him like you do. Hope that helps and I hope you get to keep him - I think he would really miss you, you are his mom.

Lana Lyman said...

Thanks Myrna! You pretty much summed up my thoughts! I really don't think we will....I just wanted to hear from others to see if anyone had been through it......I've cried just thinking about it! :/ We've agreed at least that once his time is over, we will not get another dog. I'm pretty sure Schroed will be with us for awhile to come, though :)