Saturday, December 11, 2010

And the winner is......

Reflux.  Yep...SILENT reflux to be exact.  


After a MISERABLE week...no sleep for 4 nights straight, and a baby who was only fussing at night starting to fuss during the day too....I finally gave in and called the doctor.  Over last weekend, I started to suspect reflux (after all, Carter had it too at her age and I knew what the symptoms were: frequent waking; congestion; wet burps; crying when lying flat; hiccups, lots of spitting up, etc.).  I just wasn't sure because her symptoms were different than Carters.  For instance, she hardly EVER spits up!  Carter was a projectile vomiter.  So I started researching the symptoms of reflux again and discovered there's a thing called 'silent reflux'.  With silent reflux, they rarely do spit up...instead when they start to spit up, they swallow it back down causing even more pain because the acid burns the throat coming up and again back down. (ok..so when reading this I was TOTALLY feeling bad for my sweet girl!) :/


Anyway....it was a terrible week to say the least.  She got to the point that she wanted to be held almost all day up on our shoulder..to help keep the acid down, I'm sure.  So I finally took her in Friday afternoon and told the doctor her symptoms.  He said if it wasn't reflux he'd turn in his license!  We started her on Zantac that afternoon and last night she slept 6 1/2 hours straight!  And I ended up waking her then to feed her...she likely would have slept longer. :)  Needless to say, I think I heard angels singing this morning :)  She's been great all day today too....totally content in her swing or car seat or wherever!  And needless to say, after getting a full nights rest (FINALLY!) I feel like a new person.  Here's hoping it lasts and tonight she does just as good (or even better).


Through all of this I'm learning to trust my 'mommy instinct' more and more.  With Carter, I was right every time he had an issue and we took him in.  With her, I feel like it's taking me longer to find my groove with her and figure her out.  For awhile there, I was beginning to doubt myself.  I mean, there's NOTHING more frustrating than not being able to figure out your baby's needs.  Talk about overwhelming!  Throw in the hormones and it's just a mess.   I think I'm starting to get there with her, though.   I'll admit, it's taken a little longer to really bond with her...I guess it's the 2nd kid thing?  Or maybe it's the fussy baby thing?  Not sure...but I'm glad that I'm really starting to feel I 'know' her and am close to her.  I hope I'm not alone in my feelings...any other mommy's out there that have gone through this?  I've certainly felt guilty at times about it.


We had a busy week in spite of all the craziness....friends over for dinner one night (the day she was SO fussy too....I cleaned and cooked most of the day holding her...it was interesting to say the least!  And it's a miracle we even had food on the table that night), then we had our church banquet last night.  The kids wore their first matching outfits!  It was so fun, and they were so cute :)  I've added pictures from the week...a few of her and then some family ones.  Enjoy! :)


Signed, 
One happy, well-rested Mommy ;)


                                                                       


Isn't she a doll?


                                  
This picture makes my heart melt!  LOVE my babies! :)
                                                    
             Our family shot :)
                                                        
                                                            


  My sweet little 'present'
                                                             


 In her Christmas dress
                                                  

 Shae' and Mommy before the banquet

No comments: