Thursday, December 2, 2010

Kidding myself....

So my last post talked about how smooth my first day alone with 2 kiddo's went. Well, I've realized in the last few days that I was SO kidding myself when I believed I had this! Yes, Monday was a good day, however, Tuesday and Wednesday made up for it (today isn't far enough along yet to tell). Thanks to my precious, sweet, adorable baby girl, I have never felt more sleep deprived in my life...ugghh! She's a champ the first half of the day, but due to a tummy ache that is going on 4 days, our afternoons/evenings have been rough to say the least. Now I am a HUGE fan of the GFI program (ask me about it if you don't know what it is---it's FABULOUS!) and through the program I have a 'contact mom' that helps me with issues as they arise. Well, I spent 35 minutes on the phone with her yesterday (all while Carter rearranged the nursery, might I add...and I couldn't stop him because I was on the phone and feeding the baby at the same time). Wendy, my contact mom, gave me some great advice and as of today I'm trying to take the necessary steps to get this little girl on track.

So in dealing with Shae's fussiness, working on her routine, TRYING to give Carter the attention he needs (I admit I have failed at this lately, unfortunately) and keeping everyone fed (including myself) I have realized that I'm kidding myself by thinking my house will stay perfect all the while. Now, don't get me wrong...I am still trying to keep it as clean as possible...but yesterday dishes sat in my sink the entire day *gasp* This is SO not me! I am the perfectionist who thinks it all has to be clean ALL the time...and even though Carter makes a mess, I make sure it's all picked up before Tom comes home. I do not think he should come home to dishes in the sink and a messy house. But, to my despair, this week dishes have sat in the sink unwashed until the end of the day, laundry has been piling up, and me AND both kids have spent entire days in our pj's up until the afternoon/evening when it's bath time and we all put on another pair of pj's. HA! Oh dear....and I want 3 or 4 kids?

I know this is all temporary. I WILL be back to my house-cleaning, crazy, O.C.D. self soon....I just need some sleep first! Anyhow, among all the craziness, Carter is becoming more and more attached to Shae', which is SO sweet to see!  The picture is him being his sweet self with her. :)


Well...time to wake the princess to eat, as I look at toys scattered all over the living room and feel like crawling back into bed NOW for the rest of the day :/ Oh well, at least the dishes are done. :)

2 comments:

Jason V said...

Email me a link to your blog (I read this post through the Facebook built in browser). I didn't know you kept one. I had one for about a year but just didn't have time for it. Yours looks really good!

And as far as the post goes, give Carter some time. He'll be a good lil helper somewhere down the road...haha.

Darlene said...

Oh, Lana....

I have never claimed to be a domestic diva and my house was probably never as put together as yours... so it's probably a little easier for me to say this.

Welcome to the life of 2 children. :) My house looked like a magazine cover when I went into the hospital with Rhyse. By the end of our first week home, it looked like a tornado hit, and honestly... we'ver never fully recovered.

Advice? Have one room those children can play in that you don't have to stress over. Close the door and let the toys lay where they may. It has saved me lots of grief. Laundry will now have to be folded at least 2x because there is nothing more entertaining than freshly folded laundry.

Dishes? I do try to stay on top of them, but often IF dinner gets made, the dirty dishes sit in the sink all night because I passed out at the dinner table (literally fell asleep).

Don't beat yourself up, your hubby understands this is a crazy time and THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!! Learn to embrace the chaos that is called kids. Don't spend all your time picking up after them that you don't get in the floor and help them make a mess now and again.

And one more thing. When you feel completely overwhelmed and like you're about to have a meltdown, get down in the floor and hug your children as tightly as you can. Spend at least 10 minutes playing your heart out with them.

It puts everything else in perspective. Those kids will be grown and gone in the blink of an eye. Dishes and laundry are forever. :-)

Love you!!