Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One More Valley

It started this morning around 2:30a.m.  I laid in bed wide awake, unable to sleep.  And for the first time in a long time, it wasn't because of Shae'.  She lay in her bed next to mine sleeping soundly.   No...I could not get my dear Pastor's wife, Sis. Kern, out of my mind.  I know my blogging is usually about my kiddos, and that's what I started it for, but this is such a sad time for all of us around here.  Sis. Kern has been my Pastor's wife for 8 years now, and she's battled cancer for nearly 6 of those years.  We've all watched her go through it, bear the weight of it, fight it, nearly lose the fight with it only to rebound and keep on going.  It's been amazing to watch her strength.  I know she's suffered, but she's kept so much of it to herself.  It's been really hard the last month or so seeing her in the final stages of the cancer and unable to hide the suffering any longer.  


This post will be short.  I just wanted to share my burden and ask that anyone reading this, if you would please keep Sis. Kern in your prayers.  Pray she has peace and as little pain as possible.  And even more so, please keep Bro. Kern in prayer.  I know this is a very difficult time for him...their children as well.  


As I lay there thinking and praying for them all this morning, I kept seeing images of Pastor and Sis. Kern singing.  The church would light up every time they would bless us with a song.  Sis. Kern would get on the organ and they would start singing some of the old songs we don't get to hear very often.  Their favorite, and ours too, was "One More Valley".  The words are:


When I'm tossed on life's sea and the waves cover me,
And the clouds won't allow the sunshine through,
Then a voice seems to say, "Child, there'll be brighter day,
Don't allow the clouds to hide sweet Heaven's view."



'Cause you've got one more valley, one more hill,
Maybe one more trial, one more tear.
One more curve in life's road, maybe one more mile to go,
You can lay down your heavy load when you get home.



Don't let Satan see your fears, learn to smile thru all your tears
Hold your head up high and give the world a smile.
Just be faithful all the way, it'll be worth it all some day,
'Cause it's all gonna be over after while.


These words have never seemed more appropriate or meant as much as they do now.


I love you Sis. Kern.

No comments: